Thursday, December 9, 2010

You can't beat beets.


Chicken LOVES beets. Seriously! I never liked beets as a child, or at least I had myself convinced that I didn't, but I'm not sure I ever really tried them. I really enjoy them now and thought it would be fun for Chicken to try them too. We waited until her dad was working, because he doesn't like beets. I roasted them with some olive oil, salt and pepper (not much salt because it's not good for babies!). Chicken also had a mushroom and some bits of turkey burger. She seemed to really like the mushroom, but it got very slippery quickly. I ended up giving her some smaller bits, because as confident as I am that she can handle her food without choking, I'm much more confident when Chicken's dad is home!

Yes, she made quite a mess, but it was so much fun to see her taste yet another food and gratifying to know that, at least for now, she likes a food that many grown-ups don't like! I really hope this "sticks" because it will make eating so much fun for Chicken as she gets older. At some point, I'll have to give her a brussel sprout - another favorite of mine that isn't hugely popular.
Chicken had the leftover beets a couple of night's later and I served pork chops that night. I wished I'd taken a photo of her then because with the chunks of meat and squished beet everywhere, she looked like some sort of carnivorous beast! A cute beast of course!

2 comments:

  1. For the record, I'm reading the blog. I love it! What will Chicken try next!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Dar! :) Chicken is due to have Mexican Lasagna tonight, but is having a rough day and is napping at dinnertime...Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete