Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What the french, Toast!?!?


A belated merry Christmas to everyone! We've been busy celebrating and shoveling, since we got about two feet of snow on the day after Christmas. We don't have much to report from Christmas, since Chicken slept through Christmas Eve dinner and socialized through Christmas dinner. This post is dedicated to our snow day breakfast and was titled by Chicken's dad. :)
Breakfast is the easiest meal for us. Chicken is in a good mood since she usually is fairly well rested and has nursed upon waking. Plus, many breakfast foods are BLW friendly. On this snowy day we had yummy french toast. I had some slices of raisin challah in the freezer. Good bread + egg + milk = a pretty good breakfast for Chicken. Of course, throw in the vanilla, cinnamon and butter used to cook the french toast and it's even better. We had some breakfast sausage too. I'm careful to buy all natural sausage because preservatives are not good for little ones. Sodium is another concern when it comes to breakfast meats. I debated how to serve the sausage to Chicken because the links are just flat-out throat shaped, which made me nervous. I ended up slicing a link in half lengthwise. Chicken nibbled on half a link and seemed to like the taste, but she left a good bit of it on her tray.
The best part (for me) about this breakfast was the leftovers. I only gave Chicken half of a piece of french toast that day (though I would've given her more had she finished that much), so the other half was in the fridge. I cut it into strips a day or two later and toasted them for Chicken's breakfast. She had them dipped in yogurt. I wish I had a picture of that meal because Chicken surprised me by tearing the french toast into little pieces. Granted, challah is the perfect bread to tear up, but I'd never seen her do that before!



2 comments:

  1. May I ask what is the brand name sausage you used? I had a hard time looking for an all natural sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellshire Farms - We got it at Whole Foods.
    http://www.wellshirefarms.com/store/page4.html

    We have also gotten Jones Dairy Farm brand at our regular grocery store. I like the taste of it better, but I think it may have more sodium (hence the better taste!)
    http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/All-Natural-Golden-Brown-Maple-Pork-Sausage-Links-7-oz--P71C9.aspx

    ReplyDelete