Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soup's On!


When I was growing up, my mom would make homemade chicken noodle soup pretty frequently. Every time she made it I would complain and ask for soup from a can. I had to laugh when I went to share some of a can of soup with Chicken the other day and realized how unhealthy canned soup is. My mom was right all along! There is a ton of sodium, additives and preservatives. Plus, the cans are a well known source of BPA, which I try to avoid when possible. Luckily I've spent the past 10 years trying to make soup like my mom used to make.

So, this weekend, even though it was 20 degrees warmer than it has been, I decided to make some chicken noodle soup and I was eager to share it with Chicken. I simply used a slotted spoon, rather than a ladle, when serving up Chicken's soup so that she got the bits of chicken, vegetables and noodles without the broth. I also let her try some of the broth on a loaded spoon, but, as you can imagine, not much made it to her mouth. Of course, Chicken favored the noodles, but she also seemed to enjoy the chicken, celery, carrots and zucchini (not a regular component of my soup, but we had some). When she and I had soup for lunch the next day, I picked out the chicken and veggies so that she wouldn't eat a ton of noodles again.
This was Chicken's second experience with soup, since we had creamy butternut squash soup on Thanksgiving. I've been looking for more recipes to try that are low in sodium and full of good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment